There are several different ideas on type compatibility in the MBTI out there. Usually they fail to address why certain matches are more favourable, and most importantly, which matches are more fitting based on what you are looking for in a relationship.
Before continuing, I want to point out that all the matches are ranked and grouped under the premise that they are of equal value and compatibility when it comes to matters outside of Typology, like looks, health level, socio-economic status, personal values and so forth. Imagine there are 16 prospective partners in a room with you. They all share everything you are looking for that is unrelated to their MBTI type. The following overview tells you which people are more or less suitable to what you are looking for, based on the factor of MBTI type alone.
Cool To Go, or Red to Avoid: Temperature Scale
First, it will show how harmonious and comfortable each match is on a scale that is reminiscent of a thermostat.
The “cooler” (blue) the match, the more chill – relaxed it is, whereas the “hotter” (red) the match, the more tumultuous, conflict-ridden and/or misunderstanding it will be.
Aka: Red means Red flag, avoid!
This evaluation is primarily based on the fact that types that share the same cognitive functions focus on the same aspects within the world, hence have a very similar attitude, which results in both people understanding each other well and fighting less often because of that.
4 Categories of Compatibility
Secondly, underneath each scale will be 4 lists that group the best matches into 4 different categories, based on what kind of connection they strengthen.
- “Lust” matches have the best sexual connection,
- “Heart” matches foster the best emotional connection,
- “Mind” matches are the most intellectually stimulating,
- “Interests” matches create a good platonic connection based on shared interests, as the name suggests.
For the Lust matches, it is assumed that opposite Perceiving functions (Se+Ni, Ne+Si) complement each other the best in the erotic (followed by the same (SP + SP, NJ + NJ, SJ + SJ, NP + NP), because then the focus on the same sensorial/physical aspects is identical).
- Extroverted Sensing is hands-on, forceful, and through that can seduce Introverted Intuition types the best, whose minds are commonly elsewhere and because of that they are disconnected from their bodies and the physical world. Extroverted Sensing pulls the Introverted Intuition person back to earth, which is especially beneficial in the bedroom, where physical sensuality is of importance.
- Introverted Sensing does a similar thing with Extroverted Intuition individuals, but with a much softer grip and a more caring attitude, that is forgiving of the whimsical and scattered nature of the Extroverted Intuition person. The Introverted Sensing partner picks up the mess and creates a more pleasing experience, figuratively and literally.
The Heart matches are founded on the principle that sharing the same Feeling function (Fe+Fe or Fi+Fi) and having at least one Feeler type in the relationship is the best for emotional connection, because both people judge the realm of ethics and generally feel the same way then.
The Mind matches are founded on the principle that sharing the same Thinking function (Te+Te or Ti+Ti) and having at least one Thinker type in the relationship is the best for intellectual stimulation, because both people judge the realm of logic and generally think the same way then.
The Interests matches all either share Sensing or Intuition, as well as are all (with one exception for each type) either NF, NT, ST, or SF. At this point it should be noted that these matches are mostly interesting for friendship, not necessarily good for romance (esp. when they are in cursive.)
Those matches that are in cursive often have the tendency to eventually bring more resentment or disagreements than the other ones. If you want to “play it safe” or optimize your relationships, you should avoid those.
Without any further ado, here are the MBTI type matches.
Heart: ENFP, ESFP, ISFP, INFP
Mind: ISTJ, ESTJ, INTJ, ENTJ
Interests: ISTJ, ESTJ, ESTP, ISTP, ISFJ
Help me keep bringing you content by donating how much you like and/or find this content is worth. If you do, you’ll also be able to join the secret Facebook group!